Sunday, December 18, 2011

Starting

    I've been thinking and reading a lot about the creative process lately, which in itself is rather ironic since most of the reading ends up advising that the  best way to be more creative is to... actually start creating. Seems simple, but I find myself coming up with an endless plethora of  distractions to keep me from just doing the work. (things like organizing the closet and cleaning the grout in the shower suddenly seem all important!) Then I came across this


Ira Glass made it all so clear.   Producing work that disappoints,  is a normal part of the creative process, one that you must accept and push through.  Most of my creative life has involved dance. I started dancing when I was four and blissfully unselfconscious. I had many years to fall out of pirouettes, get into the perfect split and reach a level of technique that allowed me to do strong creative work.  Now I am interested in exploring genres I have never done before and I realize- it is super scary and intimidating to be a beginner, especially as an adult!   It is embarrassing to do things poorly.  So I research, I prepare, I make to-do lists, I clean the grout in the shower.  But at some point you have to...
    
     just
          start.
                                   push  
                                          through.
                                                                      choose
                                                                                growth.




                                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                          









No comments:

Post a Comment